Graphic and Design Studies
Graphic and Design Studies is the study of the techniques and skills necessary to design and produce finished work, and solve design and visual communication problems. It includes the study of clothing design and creation.
The main purpose of this field of education is to develop an understanding of the artistic and technical aspects of creating and producing an original piece of work.
Courses in Graphic and Design Studies develop skills in:
- determining the objectives of design in consultation with management, sales and manufacturing staff and clients
- formulating design concepts for garments
- preparing illustrations and sketches to present design concepts
- supervising the production of sample garments
- using pictures and symbols to make a clear graphic statement
This field comprises the following detailed fields:
- Graphic Arts and Design Studies
- Textile Design
- Fashion Design
- Graphic and Design Studies, n.e.c.
Thinking about a job in this field?
Check out the courses available in this field at various Australian universities and alternative study pathway options. If you'd like to speak with someone, discuss with your Career Advisor at school, or contact the Indigenous Education Unit at any of the Australian Universities, and they’ll be able to offer advice on available local information and student support services.