Personal Services is the study of caring for the hair and body for grooming and beautification.
The main purpose of this narrow field of education is to develop an understanding of the scalp, facial and body hair, the skin, beautification and beauty treatments.
Courses in Personal Services develop skills in:
- analysing and advising clients on hairstyles and general beauty care
- applying make-ups, creams and lotions, and giving facial massages
- cutting, filing, sculpting, painting and polishing finger and toe nails
- cutting, colouring and styling hair
- tinting, bleaching and removing facial and body hairs
- using appliances and cosmetic masks to treat the skin and body
This narrow field comprises the following detailed fields:
- Beauty Therapy
- Personal Services, n.e.c.
- Cosmetic surgery. This is included in Surgery.
Thinking about a job in this field?
Check out the courses available in this field at various Australian universities and alternative study pathway options. If you'd like to speak with someone, discuss with your Career Advisor at school, or contact the Indigenous Education Unit at any of the Australian Universities, and they’ll be able to offer advice on available local information and student support services.