Sales and Marketing
Sales and Marketing is the study of identifying and developing markets, and promoting and selling goods, services and properties.
The main purpose of this narrow field of education is to develop an understanding of the theories of buying and selling goods and services and their application at an organisational and personal level, marketing theories in relation to product development, and the development of strategic marketing plans and consumer behaviour. It also involves developing the ability to plan, direct and organise retail and wholesale operations so that goods and services can be provided efficiently and effectively.
Courses in Sales and Marketing develop skills in:
- applying social and behavioural science theories to identify and develop marketing strategies
- applying the principles and practices of selling and interacting with clients
- identifying consumer needs and wants and developing strategies to fulfil them in relation to the provision, pricing and distribution of goods and services
- managing stock, merchandising, pricing and supervising loss prevention
- organising or devising advertising, promotion, public relations and sales campaigns
- property investment and management
This narrow field comprises the following detailed fields:
- Real Estate
- Public Relations
- Sales and Marketing, n.e.c.
Thinking about a job in this field?
Check out the courses available in this field at various Australian universities and alternative study pathway options. If you'd like to speak with someone, discuss with your Career Advisor at school, or contact the Indigenous Education Unit at any of the Australian Universities, and they’ll be able to offer advice on available local information and student support services.