Chemical Sciences is the study of the composition, structure, and the chemical transformations of matter.
The main purpose of this narrow field of education is to develop an understanding of the fundamental properties of elements, compounds and materials, and their reactions and transformations.
Courses in Narrow Field 0105 Chemical Sciences develop skills in:
- application of knowledge of the fundamental properties of elements, compounds and their reactions
- identifying the compositional and energy changes resulting from chemical reactions
- using modern chemical instrumentation for the structural analysis of chemicals
This narrow field comprises the following detailed fields:
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Chemical Sciences, n.e.c.
- Medical biochemistry. This is included in Detailed Field 019901 Medical Science.
Thinking about a job in this field?
Check out the courses available in this field at various Australian universities and alternative study pathway options. If you'd like to speak with someone, discuss with your Career Advisor at school, or contact the Indigenous Education Unit at any of the Australian Universities, and they’ll be able to offer advice on available local information and student support services.