Sport and Recreation
Sport and Recreation is the study of sport, recreational and leisure activities, their role in society, and the development of recreational and leisure programmes.
The main purpose of this narrow field of education is to develop an understanding of principles of coaching, teaching, instructing, guiding, participating, officiating and programming sport and recreation activities and the rules and regulations governing them.
Courses in Sport and Recreation develop skills in:
- advising people on recreation and leisure programmes suitable to their age, gender, fitness level and lifestyle
- developing recreation and leisure programmes for individuals, groups and communities
- leading people in recreation and leisure programmes in a safe and supportive manner
This narrow field comprises the following detailed fields:
- Sport and Recreation Activities
- Sports Coaching, Officiating and Instruction
- Sport and Recreation, n.e.c.
- Physical education teacher training. This is included in Teacher Education, n.e.c.
- Human movement studies. This is included in Human Movement.
Thinking about a job in this field?
Check out the courses available in this field at various Australian universities and alternative study pathway options. If you'd like to speak with someone, discuss with your Career Advisor at school, or contact the Indigenous Education Unit at any of the Australian Universities, and they’ll be able to offer advice on available local information and student support services.