Support for you – Indigenous Education Units
Indigenous Education Units* work closely with their university’s faculties, schools, central business areas and the wider community providing a range of professional services and academic support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from pre-enrolment through to graduation, including:
- Assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to enter university
- Offer students’ academic, personal and cultural support
- Provide orientation programs for new students to assist with transition to university life and study
- Advice on scholarships, prizes, cadetships and student support payments
- Learning support and advice, including workshops, group sessions, tutorial sessions and individual consultations.
- Conduct academic research in Indigenous studies, knowledge and associated areas of interest
- Provide an Indigenous perspective to the university through learning and teaching
- Organise events for students, staff and the general public.
Indigenous Education Units strongly support the celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and recognise the enormous contributions that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and perspectives bring to learning and teaching.
Search for the Indigenous Education Units at various universities.
*Note: each university may refer to their local Indigenous support services in different ways e.g. Indigenous Education Units; Indigenous Support Units; School of Indigenous Australian Studies; Indigenous Institute etc., and may include Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander language in the naming title, as relevant to the local area.
This portal includes references to both Indigenous Education Units and Indigenous Support Units, including in the interviews uploaded under Your Stories. Irrespective of the naming convention used, each university provides support services relevant to the local needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, aligned with the particular university’s overall strategic plans and objectives.
Australian Catholic University - Indigenous Higher Education Units: Dhara Daramoolen; Yalbalinga; Weemala and Jim-baa-yer
Edith Cowan University - Kurongkurl Katitjin, Centre for Indigenous Australian Education and Research
La Trobe University - Indigenous Student Service Units: Woddha Gki-Lya; Jimbeyer Boondjhil; Ngarn-gi Bagora and Ngarrapna