I want in…but how?

Did you know that each higher education provider across Australia has their own process of how people can apply to study? The most common way to apply to study at university is through the tertiary admissions centre for each state/territory. But that’s not the only way.

Many universities also have a direct entry program that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people may be eligible to apply for. Some universities also provide preparation entry pathways to help you get ready for classes you would like to enrol in. Depending on the course you wish to study and the university you want to study at, it is recommended that you contact the Indigenous Education Units at the university you are interested in, to find out more details about what support they provide, and what pathways they have available.

Year 12 (school leavers) usually rely on their Year 12 exam results when applying to university and are given an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR), or an Overall Position (OP) score (in Queensland only). But if you didn’t finish year 12, then you may need to sit a Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). The STAT is used across Australia to determine and assess an individual’s abilities and competencies, by giving you a ranking score to use when you later apply to university. Information on STAT’s are available at any of the state/territory tertiary admissions centres.

If you come across university subjects that a university expects you to know about or have assumed knowledge of, then often you can do a bridging and/or refresher course before a university course commences. For some courses you may need to complete a bridging course before applying for entry into a course. There will be some university courses that are very competitive to gain entry into, and so there might be strict minimum entry requirements that you will need to meet first. Other courses may request that people attend an interview and/or an audition to gain entry into a university degree.

It’s best to double check what the course entry requirements are, then contact the Indigenous Education Units at the university you’re interested in, and they will assist to answer your questions and provide you with information.

Download PDF